Friday, March 18, 2011

CONTESSA 33 TM

Boat: CONTESSA 33 TM

More: CONTESSA 33 TM Specifications

News:

Vendee Globe 2000 - Parlier establishes new 24hr record


Author: Philippe Jeantot

Yves Parlier (Aquitaine Innovations) has enjoyed a solid lead since the Equator over the 20 strong international fleet still racing in the Vendйe Globe 2000. He has comfortably put 100 miles in between himself and his nearest rival, Michel Desjoyeaux (PRB), who has been making his life uneasy since the start. Parlier№s boat has crossed the Greenwich Mean Time first as well.

Crossing the 40th degree parallel South a small, low pressure system has been generating 25 knot winds to the benefit of the fleet. The sea is not too big, the wind still moderate ­ ideal sailing conditions. Yves Parlier, the first to find these winds in his efforts to give his rivals the slip, has exploited the conditions to the maximum. Yesterday we were all amazed at the average speeds held by the leading boats. This morning, the skipper of Aquitaine Innovations announced that he had established a new single-handed 24 hour record for a monohull. He reckoned to have covered 419 miles between 1354hrs on the 3rd December and 1354hrs on the 4th December, at an incredible average speed of 17.45 knots.

In the 1996/7 Vendйe Globe, Christophe Auguin established the record at 374 miles (av. Speed of 15.58 knots). In the Around Alone, two years later, Marc Thiercelin bettered this no less than eight times to finally establish the solo, 24 hour record at 396.5 miles (av. Speed of 16.52 knots). Parlier has crushed the old record and increased the average speed by nearly a knot.

Several years ago, holding up these speeds was possible on an Open 60 for say an hour or two, but where the skipper took great risks and stayed permanently at the helm. Advances in architecture, stability and autopilot performance have rendered it possible to hold these speeds for increasingly longer periods of time. This kind of record figure gives ample proof of the fact. Everything counts though, as it is also down to the fact that these skippers know their boats so well, how to push them, how to manage themselves too.

If the competition stays at this level, this record, established at the entry into the Southern Ocean, could be broken again. Parlier won№t be resting on his laurels, though, as he aims as ever to control his rivals and discern the risks to be taken.

Behind, the pack is in full pursuit and not stopping at anything to break down Parlier№s advance. Michel Desjoyeaux & Roland Jourdain (Sill Matines La Potagиre) are leading this chase, a fact which Parlier admitted was threatening as he was slowing down to 8 ­ 10 knots, crossing into a new weather system. Catherine Chabaud (Whirlpool) has yet, out of the leading boats, to plunge South and we wait to see the proof for this tactic. Brits Josh Hall (EBP/Gartmore) & Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher) are both a little frustrated to have lost some speed after their recent sail problems but are both unhesitant in their desire to get into the Southern Ocean.

Not to be forgotten ­ Mike Golding (Team Group 4) is anticipating a special low pressure system to move across and effectively aid him in cutting the corner and landing bang slap in the fleet again. He just has to monitor if it moves North first, before bending South East and find the right place to enter the system and use it to his advantage. He has himself been reaching speeds of 14 knots and is now comfortably on schedule for his record attempt.

Radio Chat Extracts

Josh Hall (EBP-Gartmore) : "Yesterday I got the Westerly wind. I put a reef in the main sail for the first time since Cape Finisterre. Yesterday I repaired my gennaker furler, and progress is better. I have 22 knots of Westerly breeze. A new high pressure system is coming tomorrow and a low after that. This is my third trip into the Southern Ocean. Yes, I am a little afraid as it's never a good place to go...but the boat is well prepared. I don't have any problems here but the pace is unstoppable in this fleet. I haven't always been going at max speed, I've been doing 2 knots less without my genoa and I'm staying conservative with my options."

Mike Golding (Team Group 4) : "I've made a big close on the back of the fleet and hope to enter into it today. There is a special low pressure system developing to the South, which I№m watching closely. There№s a good prospect that it will help me head South East fast. I'm not working up to quickly to the East as I need to get far enough South. If this low leaves the coast, which they usually do, it may go North before curving SE. I have to guess exactly where it will go and use it to my advantage."

Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher): "It's a shame to have lost a place but I'm not too worried.I have quite a lot less wind but I hope it's the same for the others too. I crossed into the 40's with a knot in my stomach but I have been waiting for a long time to live out this dream. I'm happy with where I am, I aim just not to break too many things. I know how much less experience I have here."

Raphaлl Dinelli (Sogal Extenso): "I'm heading towards Cape Town and I am trying to get everything ready for the repair work. Even though I'll stop for may be 2 - 3 days, I must continue and complete the circumnavigation. I hope to arrive in Cape Town next Tuesday or Wednesday. Right now I'm still able to reach 10 - 11 knots no problem although I am looking at the keel all the time."

Thierry Dubois(Solidaires) : "I stayed on Port tack until midday yesterday, then gybed South when the wind shifted to North East. We're in a moderate wind, but the seas are rough. It'll be a battle for 4th - 10th place in my opinion. I haven't changed my plan and am keeping the pace up and more when I can. I crossed into the forties at 0400 - 0500 hrs this morning. It's definitely getting colder, and physically it will be tough down here but I can't wait."

Yves Parlier (Aquitaine Innovations) : "I am fighting fit, on really good form! Half an hour ago I crossed the Greenwich Meridian Line. Yesterday I beat the 24 hour record according to my GPS coordinates, covering 419 miles, my objective is still to arrive on the 11th February. Although I've beaten the record, I haven't pushed the machine as the material is designed to go at these speeds and the potential of the boat is permitting."

Joй Seeten (Nord Pas de Calais - Chocolats du Monde) : "I was under spi, the wind freshened little by little, until it rose to 40 knots and I was still under heavy spinnaker. When I tried to reef it in the spinnaker ended up in a nice wrap! It took me two hours and one mast climb to unwrap it all!"

Simone Bianchetti (Aquarelle.com) : "I know I haven't caught on the other boats over the last few days, but I prefer to think and focus on the boat. I have finally gybed to the South and I am sailing under spinnaker. Anyway we need to go there, I am not too stressed, I want to go there and get wet."

Latest News from Kingfisher / Ellen MacArthur:

Position 40° 05.9S 008° 17.9W
Heading/speed 175 13.9
Wind from 303 at 18.3 knots
Pressure of 1001
Sea temperature 18
Sail configuration is One reef and Gennaker
Percentage performance 98.6

well, our first night in the Roaring 40s... you can feel the difference
even though we are not yet truly in to the Southern Ocean conditions

I know we'll be OK down here. It's the frustration of losing those miles
we'd worked so hard for, that's pretty tough... I shall come to terms with
it though, and I will learn. Primarily though we have to get through.
Sailing now with gennaker and 1 reef. Wind variable from 14-22 knots, which
makes it hard.

I've been heading south for quite a few hours now, not the making gybe, but
trying to exit the influence of the systems to the north and position for
the next depression.

Our next objective in the rules is to leave Antartica to starboard and pass
to the north of Heard Island... but apart from staying north of several
waypoints that are there to keep us from going deep south in to the ice
(the shortest route), our real next mark is Cape Horn...some 50 days away
maybe.

Its a big leg!

Anyway, its good to be past the 40th parallel.

The world down here is so very different and so special. It is
magnificently awesome - the seas are different, the waves are long and the
albatros so beautiful. Although I have had my toughest couple of days so
far this race, seeing these sights and reading the supporting e-mails sent
by everyone from the website really does lift my spirits and always reminds
me of how lucky I am.

Latest News from Team Group 4 / Mike Golding:

Team Group 4 is still sailing fast in the South Atlantic, averaging 14 - 15
knots under genoa and full mainsail.

In a phone call to his shore team this afternoon, Mike Golding, who had
just enjoyed a 'typically English Breakfast'
of egg and bacon, reported that the weather is warm, with the wind
east/north east. Team Group 4 is heeling over
at 20 degrees, making it wet on deck, but Golding is closing up on the back
of the fleet and is closely watching the changing weather. Low pressure
is developing ahead, coming off the Uruguayan coast and Golding hopes to
break through the South Atlantic high ridge and cut the corner at the
bottom of the South Atlantic high to gain miles.

More Information:

  • www.vendeeglobe.com
  • YachtsandYachting.com Vendee Globe Page

See also: CONTESSA 33 for sale