Friday, March 18, 2011

CONTEST 25-2

Boat: CONTEST 25-2

Builder: Contest Yachts - Conyplex

Designer: Dick Zaal

More: CONTEST 25-2 Specifications

News:

Vendee Globe 2000 - Leaders catch the wind again


Author: Philippe Jeantot

FRUSTRATION, EMOTION...ELIMINATION?

While the bulk of the Vendйe Globe fleet are struggling in frustratingly unstable wind conditions, Michel Desjoyeaux (PRB) & Roland Jourdain (Sill Matines La Potagиre) have succeeded in catching a solid low pressure front, which has rewarded them with a strong 50 knot wind, often gusting to 60 knots. Desjoyeaux is now over 350 miles ahead of third placed Yves Parlier (Aquitaine Innovations) and yet knows that he can't rest on his laurels. "Bilou is not far behind. It's more comfortable now, but I won't take it easy, there's too much competition still."

Yves Parlier (Aquitaine Innovations), still bordering on 50 degrees South, hasn't seen any doors open for him. Overnight he was heading Northwards at 3.5 knots, whilst his two rivals ahead were going 11 knots faster. Parlier will know that he is now 1 day behind the leading boat, and in the last week has lost 250 miles to Desjoyeaux. Dominique Wavre (UBP) pushed over the main point about the weather forecast: "With the complex weather charts we're receiving, the rankings could still change."

Equally tense is life amongst the second flank of boats still holding within 70 miles of each other. Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher) expressed a great frustration to have lost her 4th place to Thomas Coville (Sodebo), putting it down to bad timing on a gybe. On the other hand Coville, perhaps looking more long term, admitted: "I missed the goal yesterday. Ellen gybed 1 hour earlier than me and she's 60 miles to the North now."

Josh Hall (EBP-Gartmore) knew, as Ellen and Thomas did, that the Northerly route was the option to have taken to get round the incoming depression, and they have admitted that Marc Thiercelin (Active Wear) has positioned himself much better for this. For Hall it became impossible to make that gybe in predominantly Southwesterly winds and he has found himself too near the centre of the low. He is pinning his hopes on the fact that at least the middle group of boats will all be affected by the same weather.

Joe Seeten (Rйgion Nord Pas de Calais ­ Chocolats du Monde) has broken a 20 cm section of his mast track. Joe can now only sail with 1 reef in the main sail and will have to wait until he's out of the Southern Ocean to repair this. Javier Sanso (Old Spice) has also suffered damage to his boat. The second diamond on the rigging has broken and he is heading North under the tip of South Africa to reach lighter airs to go up the mast and fix it.

After 36 days at sea, the race has been exhausting and torturous at moments. Hall confessed that his greatest emotion out here has been pure fear, when he sighted two icebergs the size of an air craft carrier. Ellen has been through a hedge backwards in emotional terms only over the last 24 hours, and admits that she has to learn not to stress about each mile lost. Coville remarked that this race had a natural process of elimination, and the Southern Ocean perhaps will justify that statement soon.

Radio Chat Extracts

Didier Mundutguy (DDP 60° Sud) : "Since yesterday evening at around 2200hrs things were just beginning to look better for me. But before then, what a bad hair day! Absolutely no wind at all! I even had to reef the main sail and roll the genoa so they weren't flapping around too violently. I went too quickly to the East."

Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher) : "From being in a very strong position yesterday morning we have slipped back. The option to be in the north was certainly the best. Whether it was me tying my brains in knots or not - we basically didn't gybe when we should have. So this morning the wind has gone light, and I know that those further North will be sailing downwind in 25 knots. I feel quite frustrated at having been so stupid - something funny happens around the islands."

Michel Desjoyeaux (PRB) : "The night was tough with 50/60 knots for 4/5 hours, and gust sometimes over 60 from 250°. Now it's settled to 30/40 knots. I am 350 miles ahead of Parlier, but Bilou is not far behind. I am not going to change my strategy, it's not the time and place for it and there is too much competition still. I'm in the position Parlier would like to have."

Patrice Carpentier (VM Matйriaux) : "I've just come down from the deck where I was filming the Prince Edward island. This morning there was an unbearable vibration in the boat. I had to get outside and I saw that my wind generator had lost a part. So half an hour to change it, and then I got to the computer to type something and one of the keys fell out - the number 5!"

Marc Thiercelin (Active Wear) : "I went upwind to pass the Crozet Islands and got hit with 58 knot gusts. I went North as I'd had enough of the light airs. I waited for the depression and it arrived alright last night! I was trucking along this morning, but now the wind's coming from the North East at 10 knots."

Dominique Wavre (Union Bancaire Privйe) : "There's loads of wind, the sea has roughed up and I've had my work on deck cut out. I've been focusing more on the boat and the barometer rather than the rankings, it doesn't look to bad for me though! Active Wear I think has pulled off a good move despite losing ground going South."

Joй Seeten (Nord Pas de Calais - Chocolats du monde) : "There is a little problem with my rig as I have broken a piece of my mast track and I can't put the full main sail up anymore. I saw that when I wanted to take in the third reef this morning. There was a 20 cm piece of the mast track stuck at the level of the first reef."

Josh Hall (EBP-Gartmore) : "This morning, the wind's from the NW, about 11 - 12 knots, and it's a better heading but I've got too near to the centre of the low pressure. I'd prefer to be 60 miles North of here with better wind, but it's impossible to get there. I want to stay in the pack, it has always been my plan right from the start. It's too big a risk to go off on a totally different option."

Latest Ranking* polled at 0850hrs (UT):



More Information:

  • www.vendeeglobe.com
  • YachtsandYachting.com Vendee Globe Page

A SEQUENCE OF THREE SENTIMENTS FROM ELLEN : THE ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS IN A COMPETITIVE YACHT RACE...ALONE...

1. FROM YESTERDAY AFTERNOON...SHE FELT THE STRESS COMING I THINK!

Well it's very strange when you're 1000's of miles away from anywhere to suddenly see another boat. Yesterday morning, as the first light drew itself from under the cloud - there was Toma alongside. He's been there all day, and I have to admit that I'd rather be physically alone..

It seems funny to look over the the South each time I leave the hatch, to have someone else - as I know will be looking at me..

It's different when it's the albatrosses.. When its the whales or dolphins. For sure they're not racing against me - and if so for fun..

Well it's a start...

Feeling stressed- so will try more later... sorry

2. FROM ELLEN DIRECT BY EMAIL DURING THE NIGHT

This mornings not one of the best of the race. It's not Kingfisher, the weather nor technical problems - but the skipper who's causing the upset this morning... From being in a very strong position yesterday morning we have slipped back - letting at least one boat through ahead - and almost certainly losing rapidly the lead we had on the others...

The option to be in the north - was certainly the best. Yesterday morning the weather info showed that the wind would switch to the west more quickly and for longer - giving us more of a chance to make ground to the north.. But once we were trapped below the islands [Crozet] it was too late - and whether it was me tying my brains in knots or not - we basically didn't gybe when we should have - concentrating on sailing lower and faster than Toma. So this morning - the wind has gone light, it has turned as I thought it was due to earlier yesterday, and despite sailing roughly in the right direction at 10 knots... I know that those further North will be sailing downwind in 25...

It's a real shame... I feel quite deflated and frustrated at having been so stupid... Like Bilou [Sill] - something funny happens around the islands.. That something funny has happened to us.!

Despite all this life on board is good - the moon last night was so so bright, and seemed to shine as strong as the sun as it rose... Beautiful. There are hundred's of birds around us once more, and as I took off the Code 5 from the bow this morning, the tiny petrels were just meters from me. Cheeky little things, they love to fly above the mainsail, playing dare devils with the updraught..

Sorry everyone - I feel right now I've let you all down.. I promise we'll try our best to make up the miles...starting with trimming the sails right now! later, ellen

3. A QUICK CALL JUST 30 MINUTES AGO

I think I might be alright, I just checked the latest Quickscat and in fact I might be in the front, with the centre of the low moving south. I might be ok, we'll see later today. I feel much better!

WE'LL SEE LATER TODAY!

More Information:

  • www.kingfisherchallenges.com

See also: CONTEST 25-1 for sale