Sunday, March 6, 2011

ALLMAND 31 TM

Boat: ALLMAND 31 TM

Builder:

Designer:

More: ALLMAND 31 TM Specifications

News:

Ian Budgen reflects on the 49er trials


Author: Ian Budgen

As you may have noticed, the last report from the British Olympic trials is missing. I thought that it was about time that I concluded the final chapter in our fight for Olympic success.

As you are probably aware Ian Barker & Simon Hiscocks won Olympic selection in the 49er Class, narrowly ahead of Paul Brotherton & Mo Gray. As I said before the regatta started, the 49er selection was going to be a close battle between 5 boats, and unfortunately there was only going to be 1 happy team. A Win or Loose regatta ... we Lost !

There were 2 races on the final day, and Brotherton went in 2 pts up. In the first race Brotherton was initially at the front, & Barker in the middle of the fleet. Brotherton however had to do a 360 turn when he infringed Andy & I as windward boat down the first run. Barker sailed well
to scrape back to 2nd. We won, and Brotherton was 4th. This put them both equal on points and, the final race would decide it.

Barker sailed a very good last race, whereas Brotherton had to fight back from the middle of the fleet on the first lap. Brotherton did well but not good enough, and so Barker won. Later that evening he was confirmed as the selected rep. for the 49er.

So thats, that ! Our Olympic campaign for Sydney 2000 has come to an end.

I must thank once again, our sponsors listed above, who have been great to work with over the last few years, and without whom things would have been significantly more difficult. Also, all those who have helped Andy & I on a personal level. At least our parents will be glad to see the back of our boat mountain, which we store at their house. Thanks Mum & Dad !

What Now? I haven't spoken to Andy in depth, however I am sure that we will be putting our serious 49er sailing on ice this summer. We will keep at least one of our 49ers as they are really great fun to sail and 'Right Up There' in terms of exciting ways to get your hair wet ! I intend to spend the summer going back to do some yacht racing. Either helming or tactics for events such as Scottish series, Cork week, Cowes & Commodores Cup. I will also be back Match Racing, if I can remember how !

I haven't ruled out another Olympic campaign, but no decisions will be taken till Oct/Nov at the earliest.

See you in the bar. Cheers, Budgie.

ps. All 49er sailors going to the Olympics, GOOD LUCK, I'll be watching !!


See also: CIRRUS 78 for sale