Thursday, March 17, 2011

CONSTELLATION 30

Boat: CONSTELLATION 30

Builder: Graves Yacht Yard (USA)

Designer:

More: CONSTELLATION 30 Specifications

News:

Vendee Globe 2000: Parlier shows the way south


Author: Philippe JeantotYves Parlier (Aquitaine Innovations) continues not only to hold but also extend his lead over the 21 strong international fleet in the Vendйe Globe 2000. The other skippers admit that to them this is no surprise. The more one dives Southwards, the better the conditions are. Second placed Michel Desjoyeaux (PRB) explained on the radio: "The more you are in front the stronger the wind is and the faster you go, so we're stretching out a little now."

Going into the Southern Hemisphere, at the Equator, the fleet experienced a moderate South East wind. Negotiating the high pressure system, they are changing their sailing angle in relation to its centre. Firstly, in the Northern section, the Southeasterly breeze holds, then in the Northwest section the winds shift to the East South East shifting East towards the bottom. The leaders are in this Northwest part and the winds have rotated from 40 to 50 degrees towards the East with some force. In the Southwest sector, the wind continues to rotate towards the North and the boats will gradually sail more downwind and finally the wind will be right from behind.

For the first time Yves Parlier has pushed out over 100 miles from his nearest rival, Michel Desjoyeaux. Fifth placed Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher) voiced the sentiments of the leading skippers: "Yves is really going well ahead, his boat is quick in reaching conditions, no surprises there. We can still catch him, he hasn't that big a lead and we've only done 1/5th of the race so anything could happen still". Ellen is marginally the furthest to the West, however Catherine Chabaud (Whirlpool) is on the same latitude, but further East, which is why she is now placed ahead of Ellen in the rankings.

Further back in the fleet, 9th placed Josh Hall (EBP/Gartmore) seemed to be losing speed on the others and today he explained that he had found an enormous fishing net hanging off the keel. "I№ve was losing 1.5 ­ 2 knots and couldn№t understand why before as I looked everywhere and saw nothing. Now I№m back up to normal speed, heading on the same route as Parlier. On Wednesday the front guys will fall into lighter winds so I hope to catch up there."

Mike Golding (Team Group 4) recounted his 5 hour battle to unravel the spinnaker intact, after it wound round both forestays in mid-gybe, not any easy feat single-handedly. However, he remains focused on what№s ahead: "I'm taking a punt at the Doldrums to cross further to the left than originally planned. I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain if I cut a corner. The weather in the Southern Atlantic favours that route. The high is displaced further in the West but I am constantly monitoring it."

The weather system for the leading pack in the Southern Hemisphere is relatively simple, as once on your chosen route it№s merely a question of making good your speed in relation to your heading. This has given the skippers valuable time for boat maintenance and personal recuperation, as well as weather study, before the tougher days ahead. It may seem a comfortable picture, imagining the boats reaching along at speed, averaging 15 knots, with a 20 degree heel and only the occasional shock from an adverse wave. However, working on the boat is still not as easy as on dry land. You have to hold on somehow, retain your balance, and endure the lurching movements of the boat without tripping over, which is all tiring stuff.

The conditions will change dramatically in a few days. The leading skippers know it and are making the most of the current conditions.

Radio Chat Extracts

Thomas Coville (Sodebo): "I'm going downwind at last. There's a fair swell out here and you have to be constantly on the look out. I am so afraid I'll hit something. I've seen two wrecks just 25 - 30 metres from the boat. I was encouraged to be near a boat like Marc's, even in view of him yesterday. It doesn't surprise me that Yves Parlier is in the lead."

Ellen MacArthur (Kingfisher): "Going really well, 23 knots of wind and the boat and I have been going full speed towards Trinidad. I resolved my autopilot problem finally. After 18 days racing I am really into the race, but I'm not taking any risks. I am also surprised at myself as I am less stressed, which I didn't think I would be. Yves is really going well ahead, his boat is quick in reaching conditions, no surprises there."

Michel Desjoyeaux (PRB): "I have been looking at weather forecasts for the next 3 weeks. I№m going back over the sessions I had with Lasnier and Bernot so my mind will be fresh and better focused. In latitude Parlier hasn't a great advance in miles, I think I am just 76 miles apart. But we have time, and there's no point in getting stressed about it, we've only covered one fifth of the race."

Mike Golding (Team Group 4): "I'm going at 10 knots now, slowing a little as expected. I am going past the Cape Verde islands, leaving them to my right. Not going as West as I'd like but then I'm out of the wind shadow. I'm taking a punt at the Doldrums to cross further to the left than originally planned. I've got nothing to lose and everything to gain if I cut a corner. If I fall behind now it will be very difficult for me."

Josh Hall (EBP - Gartmore): "I wasn't happy with the speed, so I checked everything, the rudders, keel, sails, ballasts, but there was nothing amiss. I was still losing 2 knots. Then I saw an enormous fishing net on the keel - I've lost some miles out of this. The wind has changed to the East and I am making a good speed and heading. I am sticking to the East, the same heading as Yves, but he's going much faster! On Wednesday the wind will become lighter for the top 5 boats so I hope to gain back some miles there."

Roland Jourdain (Sill Matines La Potagere) : "I am not taking it too easy as I can№t let the top boats increase the gap between us. At the moment, Yves has made no mistake at all but you must look at the changes in the weather patterns. Nothing is done yet... Going down the Atlantic was important to be well positioned, now I am looking at the second part of the race."

Thierry Dubois (Solidaires): "I№m going a bit slower than the others as I decided to stay on the left hand side. It№s not paying at the moment but you need to be patient. I am happy with the beginning of the race, we have all crossed the Pot au Noir the same way. I am not surprised that Yves is leading the race. A boat can still be good from one race to another, and his big advantage is that he knows her very well."

Patrice Carpentier (VM Matйriaux): "Hello? You want to speak to Msr Carpentier? Hang on I'll just get him... Aaah, hello Race HQ, it's Msr. Carpentier here! I have had a great weekend at sea with nothing new to report really. I№m going upwind, which is getting my wind generator working hard so I can avoid using the motor, and it's not so hot inside now."

Latest Ranking* polled at 0800hrs (UT):



More Information:

  • www.vendeeglobe.com
  • YachtsandYachting.com Vendee Globe Page

See also: CONSTELLATION 16 for sale