Thursday, March 17, 2011

CONTENDER

Boat: CONTENDER

Builder: Performance Sailcraft - PS2000

More: CONTENDER Specifications

News:

Volvo Ocean Race - illbruck news - Day 4


Author: Jane EaglesonAs a new crew member for this Southern Ocean training program, I am finding that I have a great deal to learn. Every day, every minute I am learning something new. Most days I learn about life offshore sailing these totally awesome boats. I used to think that going fast in a sailboat meant doing 12 Knots, boy was I wrong. I just came off watch were I drove the boat to a steady 20 with peaks of 25. You should see what the experienced guys can do. How will I ever go back to sailing my Finn.

Today I learned a lesson that does not involve sailing skill. Today I learned to hold onto the cooking pot when emptying it. We are eating freeze dried food and depending on the conditions the quantity consumed varies. Today is quite rough so the pot was quite full after the watches finished eating. I was grinding at the time and Waffler asked if I could empty the contents over the side. No problem ... Well because it was quite full I gave it a bit of a heave and to my horror not only did the lunch make it into the Southern Ocean but so did the pot!

We bring many spare parts on these trips but no one thought that a spare pot was to be needed. So now we are experimenting with meals cooked in our bailing bucket. I just finished some mixed vegetables with a side of plastic and it was delicious.

Richard Clarke

For more information, visit the illbruck Challenge website

or visit:

  • YachtsandYachting.com Volvo Ocean Race Information Page
  • www.VolvoOceanRace.org

See also: ALOHA 28 TM for sale